Norwegian Latin America Research Network (NorLARNet) is an inter-disciplinary network of institutions and individuals involved in research related to Latin America. It is meant to provide researchers and experts from all over Norway with an arena for interaction and cooperation, and to be a main point of access for all in search of academic knowledge about Latin America in Norway.
NorLARNet's two-person secretariat is hosted by the Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM) at the University of Oslo. The main tasks of the secretariat are:
- to organize national and international research conferences (Oslo: 2009 and 2013; Bergen: 2011 and 2016)
- to organize seminars, courses and guest lectures
- to grant economic support to seminars organized by researchers who are part of the network
- to host and update a website with current information on Latin America research in Norway, and news and announcements of interest to Latin America researchers
- to issue a weekly newsletter
A reference group, composed of researchers and representatives from several user groups (public administration, business, NGOs), advises the network secretariat on strategies, choice of activities and serves as a committee for awarding the NorLARNet scholarships and funds for organization of seminars.
NorLARNet aims to serve five functions:
- As a meeting place the network shall provide arenas for interaction (i) among Norwegian scholars/researchers of different disciplines and geographic location and between them and key researchers from Latin America and other countries, as well as (ii) between Norwegian scholars/researchers and other groups with an interest in Latin America. The secretariat shall maintain close contact with relevant existing networks in Norway and abroad.
- As a contact point the network shall link groups with different capacity, interest and knowledge about Latin America, and facilitate access to expertise for user groups in Norway. It shall also be a link to networks of scholars in Latin America and Latin America related networks outside the region, and seek to link institutions in Norway and Latin America that may benefit from collaboration.
- As a resource base and an access point it will serve anyone seeking information about Latin America in Norway.
- As a promoter of further research and teaching on Latin America in Norway, it collaborates with the Research Council of Norway related to the Research Program on Latin America and other relevant programs. It will also aim to strengthen communication between research communities and user groups and promote the development and funding of relevant, cutting-edge research related to Latin America.
- As a forum for reflection it will conduct and publish analyses of key events and developments related to Latin America with relevance for the activities of the members of the network.
► To inform about activities and seminars, or make research projects or publications known through the website, please contact the network secretariat: email@example.com